Saturday, November 14, 2015

laundry detergent




I try my hardest to ball on a budget. Some things I do to cut out the chemicals, somethings I do to cut out the middle man. Sometimes I just like being frugal. I wanted to share some things I did for my family to save money, just little tricks, and if someone can use it out there somewhere, then I guess that would make me feel better.

I started making my own laundry detergent. I have been reading about all the harmful chemicals that are added to most laundry soap on the market. Its amazing what additives companies can put in. I did my research and most of the stuff added, causes cancer. Well, so they say. I also found out you can make yours for half the cost and half the chemicals.

I made my first batch in the beginning of February. It cost about 24 dollars to make. I had to buy containers at the dollar store to store it, which took three dollars. two to hold the bulk because the dollar tree around me didn't have huge ones, so I bought two of the biggest ones, and then one that I could put on my laundry shelf.


1 box Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 box Borax
1 bigger ( I say this because its not the small sizes you're used to getting to put in the fridge) box of baking soda
1 bottle of smell good scent blasters, I used purex, there are downy and tide, and gain ones out now, whatever you chose is  up to you. 
3 bars Fels-Naptha
2 dollar tree containers of oxyclean or one regular oxyclean

these are the items you will need.
Everything I found at walmart and dollar tree. I chose to use the dollar tree brand of "oxyclean". but you can use the regular kind, it will make your 24 dollar total go up. I find that the dollar tree brand works just the same.


The next thing you're going to do is grate the cheese! I mean the Fels-Naptha. My kid wanted to help do it, its not a chore apparently when youre young! 

What I did was put a new bag in the trash can and just used that as my container for the time being. I grated, I mean Ethan grated the soap. We also tried using the food processor, but it took FOREVER and kind of almost ruined it. This soap is super soft and takes about 15 minutes for all three bars of soap, so I just bought my own grater for laundry from the dollar store.




After that is done, mix everything into the bag. Just open it up and pour it in!



The best part about it being in a bag, is then you can lift the bag and shake it and turn it around to really mix  up the contents.

next put it in the containers you want to store it in.

ALSO IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE!!! Keep the oxy clean scoop, because that's about how much you will use per load!




and PRESTO! there is laundry soap that will last you up to 9 months
I did about three loads on average per week, if not more and I had three boys in the house, So it lasted me a long time. I also havent had any issues with it like some people think it runs your washer.
I have a top loading washer. I have no idea if that makes a difference.


I was worried about it leaving residue on my clothes, but I just simply put the little scoop in (if you dont have a scoop its two tablespoons per load, I would add more if they were really dirty) then turned on the water, let it fill up a little bit, then I stuck my hand in and mixed it up to make all the soap dissolve. 
I have not had an issue with anything with this method.

If you try it let me know how it goes and how you like it! 





post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...