Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Blood Moon.

Did you get a chance to check out the 'blood moon' aka the lunar eclipse that appeared on the night of April 14 into the 15th? I am a total night-owl and I stay up late anyways, and taking an Astronomy  so I decided to bust out the tripod and take pictures. My finace kept telling me you cant look directly at it. I told him, that's a Solar Eclipse, and he proceeded to debate with me for a good 10 mins until I had the good fortune of proving it via Google. I took a bunch of pictures, and spent a long time looking into my view finder on my camera, because its the closest thing to a telescope I have. Only North America could see it, so here are some of the pictures I took. Many people tried to tell me the dot on the bottom was Mars, which can be seen really good in our atmosphere right now. The bottom lighter white dot is a star called Spica, the top left red dot, is Mars.

For those of you that do not know, a lunar eclipse is when the Earth Sun and Moon align and the Earth passes through the shadow of the others, depending on the type of Lunar Eclipse it is.

This is the actual "blood moon" taking about 245 am
This is the moon slowly orbiting and moving half way out of the shadow.




This is about 4am, with the moon almost completely out of the shadow.


 The next three blood moon eclipses will occur on October 8th of this year, and then on April 4th and September 28th in 2015, so mark your calenders!



I took these pictures with my Nike D3000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...