Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Relay for life

This weekend I had the pleasure of walking for Relay for Life. Being incredibly busy I forgot about it until only two days before the event. Since my mother unlikely death with cancer, I try to get involved twice a year, in the fall I get sponsors to for Frocktober, and in the spring, I walk in relay for life.

If you don't know what it is, in a nutshell, you basically sign up as one person, or form a team, and it costs ten dollars per person. Then you ask people to donate or sponsor you to do it. The night of the event you walk at whatever event you sign up for. There are usually great activities and very family oriented. A bunch of tents full of vendors trying to raise money themselves for cancer set up on the side. After opening ceremony, there is a survivors lap, and then a caregivers lap. Then everyone gets to walk, they have different things going on throughout the night, and there is a lot of food and fun. I got to meet several survivors and its nice to talk about my mom and just talk to them about what they went through, I find it very therapeutic.

So I had two days to try to earn as much money as I could, luckily I have some amazing friends and family who donated over 200 dollars in 24 hours, and next year I plan on doing even more and won't forget about it! It was nice that my team even got a special shout out for raising so much money in a little amount of time. It just feels good to be able to help give back and if it saves one life, I am happy. It will always be bitter sweet, but sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and do what is best.

If you're looking to get involved, go to relayforlife.com  and look for an event in your area, around here, there are several that go into June so its not to late!





opening ceremony where my team got a special shout out for raising 200 dollars in less than 24 hours

survivors walk





Me and my girl Marypat taking selfies while walking


pounding the pavement


the luminaries that people could buy for 5 dollars, for in memory of, and in honor of the people who have fought cancer.


at the very end of the walk.



So happy to be done, while it was a fun night, and there were a ton of things to do, by the end of the night, my feet were killing me!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...